Ask The Expert- 3.6L Auto Trans Breather Location?

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
I have a 2015 3.6L JKUR. I already extended my axle differential and T-Case breathers, but I have been unable to find any conclusive information on the location of the transmission breather on the automatic. I slid around underneath and tried to feel as much as possible, but without being able to take the body off the frame and actually look at the top of the bellhousing I cannot ascertain this info for myself.

I asked at a Jeep dealership and one mechanic thought that the NAG transmission was completely sealed and did not have a breather, this same mechanic also didn't think the T-Case had a breather... so not too confident he knew what he was talking about, obviously. Whereas a different mechanic knew the T-Case had a breather and thought that the transmission breather ran through the transmission dipstick tube in the engine bay. Sounds plausible I guess.

So does anyone know for certain the answer to this question?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cloaked Willys

Jeep Fanatic
Wise move relocating and extending the vent lines if you are doing water crossings. Make sure you still inspect the fluids afterwards to make sure that no water got pulled in through the bearing seals.

Looking at all the diagrams I can find on the NAG1 there is no vent line that shows up. Venting out the dipstick is a possibility because it is not sealed.

El Sanchimoto

Jeep Owner
Thank you Will.

I have not yet done any serious water crossings yet because there ain't much water just laying around here in SoCal... but I figured better to have it done and not need it than to be in a situation where I wish I had done it.